Monday 21 May 2007

statement time

every had to write a statement about yourself? its a pain in the arse! i had to do it today.

My girlfriend has been working on her statement (shes a practicing artist) for a year on and off, and i always noticed how fed up she got writing it, now in my mind, i just put this down to 'pfff, shes making a big deal out of it, how hard can it be?' but i had a go at it today (haven't done this sort of this thing since school) and its really really hard! whats more it really makes you question who you are or what you do.

i go soooo fed up with it, and quickly began to question what it was that i did (to cut your confusion down to a minimum, we're putting on an exhibition of art together, I'm not really a fine artist, but i do like to produce work from time to time, so I'm in the show as well), i have to admit sitting there and trying to sum up why i made certain things the way i did, or why i liked certain things, or how i went about it, really gets to you, and in the end it just sounded like i was trying ti impress you or be very very poncy!

truth is all i wanted to put was:

'I'm not really a fine artist, i like to create stuff, i like big colours, here's something i made'

i mean honestly who wants to read a big rant about stuff I'm probably forcing myself to thing so that it sounds right......id rather buy you a drink and talk about it over a pint, but that's the trouble with the art world, so much of it is impersonal, and you cant just go 'this is mine, i like creating things'.

damn it, i should do that! from now on all my statements will reflect what i really think!

hazzah! we have reached a conclusion, this blog thing has a use after all!

well I'll wish you all a goodnight, and to my girlfriend if your reading this, i have a much better understanding of how hard it is to write about yourself and your practice now, in future i shall be more supportive!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"I'm no artist, but I know what I hate. And I don't hate this". Surely the best and most simple statement ever (with apologies to Mr Burns). It's intriguing, it's self-deprecating, it's a bit poncey, it's so arty, and it's possibly true?

I dare you to put it up.

You're still the greatest living artist I know, maybe.

Sowula